2018 AP® by the Sea Summer Institutes Hotels
2018 HOTELS and CAMPUS HOUSING
Complimentary OLD TOWN/USD Shuttle Monday through Friday from the Old Town Transit Center to various campus locations – just a short walk from the Old Town hotels to the Old Town Transit Center. Some hotels MAY offer shuttle service to USD IF it does not conflict with airport shuttles. Please book an Old Town Hotel if you require a shuttle. Shuttles do NOT run on the weekends. LIMITED CAPACITY.
Old Town—>USD: Approx. times as they loop, 6:45am, 7:15am, 7:45am, 8:15am
USD (West End)—>Old Town: 3:30pm, 4:00pm, 4:30pm, 5:00pm, 5:30pm, 6:00pm, 6:30pm
The USD shuttle stop is on the EAST side of the trolley/train tracks, closest to Old Town State Park, NOT the side of the parking lot where there is a shuttle sign. There is NO sign to indicate the stop, but look for a white van with a blue stripe where the taxis pick up passengers, marked by a white curb. DO NOT confuse the USD van with the UCSD van.
Campus Shuttle Info for Apartments/Pavilion Dining/Classes : EAST tram loops in morning and afternoon, Monday through Friday. Manchester Villlage pick up is on east side of building. NOT ALWAYS RELIABLE IN THE SUMMER. WEST tram loops from the bottom of the West Parking lot to classrooms.
Participant rating: 2.8, Excellent value
$460 for four nights with recreational privileges, daily breakfasts, (lunches), and Sunday dinner. The USD Manchester Village Apartments are mostly 2 br/2 bath suites with living room and kitchen and no air-conditioning. Participants are encouraged to bring a fan. Each participant has a private bedroom and a private bathroom, sharing the central living room and kitchen with one other (same-sex) participant. The apartments are located on campus .6 miles from the Manchester Conference Center, a pleasant stroll. Shuttle service is USUALLY AVAILABLE, see “Shuttle Information” above. Visit our USD FAQ for more information about the campus housing. Spouses and family members cannot stay in dorms with attendees.
Note: Other groups, including students, may share the facility and may sometimes be “high spirited.” We cannot refund dorm payments. If you have any misgivings, please consider the hotel option.
2018 NEARBY SAN DIEGO HOTELS: Rates quoted do not include state and local taxes currently totalling 12.7%; some hotels also have a resort fee.
We highly recommend the hotel option. Should you decide to seek off-campus accommodations, we have several Old Town, San Diego Harbor/Downtown, Mission Valley, and Mission Bay hotels with special rates—all just 5-10 minutes from USD. See Map
- Please request AP® by the Sea at USD group rates when making reservations.
- Rates are guaranteed up to 30 days before each institute.
- Rates on Internet discount travel sites are often comparable and sometimes lower. Use tripadvisor.com or Trivago to compare rates. Also some hotels have low NEA rates. Some participants have used airbnb.com as an alternative.
OLD TOWN HOTELS: (Remember to compare rates on net)
Participant Rating: 3.5 Highly Rated, Excellent location, AMAZING MEAL DEAL
Old Town, 4041 Harney Street, S1: $179/nt; S2: $209/nt; S3: $199/nt. Parking $19/day, but free parking nearby.
- Hillside setting, in the heart of Old Town, Santa Fe style suites which include microwave, refrigerators, VCR/cable,
- Complimentary airport shuttle, welcome drink, social hour, pool, spa, fitness center
- Full American Breakfast, 2 cocktails and dinner each night
- On-site restaurant: Old Town Tequila Factory
Reservations: 619 298-4707, mention AP® by the Sea
Participant Rating: 3.6 Highly rated
2435 Jefferson St, S1: $169/nt; S2:$219; S3: $199/nt, single or double, $20/day parking, though limited street parking available.
- Within walking distance to over 45 restaurants, shops, and museums
- Pool and jacuzzi, fitness center, on-site bistro,
- Free internet, 32” flat screen tv, mini-fridge
Reservations: please call 888 236-2427 and ask for AP® by the Sea discounted rate (along with the preferred set of dates)
Participant rating: 3.4 Includes Breakfast
3900 Old Town Avenue, S1: $169/nt; S2: $219; S3: $199, single or double, $20/day parking, though limited street parking available
- Our 125-room property boasts comfortably appointed guest rooms that include microwave, refrigerator, and complimentary hi-speed wired and wireless internet.
- We also serve a tasty complimentary daily breakfast
- Walking distance to over 45 exciting shops, museums, live entertainment, and dining.
- Convenient location is just off the Old Town exit from Interstate 5, and just minutes from San Diego Bay, Downtown San Diego, Seaport Village, Little Italy, and San Diego International Airport, a short walk to the trolley.
Reservations: please call 888 236-2427 and ask for the AP® by the Sea discounted rate (along with the preferred set of dates.)
Participant Rating: 3.8 Highest rating
4200 Taylor St. S1: $194; S2: $234; S3: $214, single or double, reduced rate parking $10. Only 1.3 miles and a quick 6 minute drive from USD
- Mini Refrigerator, Microwave, Keurig coffeemaker, 47" flat screen TV, Complimentary Wi-fi
- pool, whirlpool, fitness center, restaurant
- The Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Old Town is Old Town San Diego’s only completely new hotel in over 12 years. While our exterior echoes the Spanish influence found throughout historic Old Town San Diego, once you enter our modern lobby you will realize that the Hilton Garden Inn is anything but a typical Old Town hotel. Modern, contemporary, and with advanced technology throughout, we are wired for today and beyond. Best of all, our convenient Old Town location puts you minutes from all of San Diego’s famed attractions, such as the world-famous San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, Balboa Park, downtown San Diego, the Gaslamp Quarter, and miles and miles of scenic beaches.
Reserve by phone: 1 877-782-9444. Mention AP by the Sea Session 1, 2, or 3
Participant Rating: 3.4 Excellent Value
4444 Pacific Highway
S1: $91/nt, economy queen or double-double rooms; $135/nt, deluxe queen/queen (1-2 people) (FREE PARKING)
S2, S3: $99/nt, economy queen or double-double; $144/nt, deluxe queen/queen (1-2 people)
- Located only 1.5 miles from USD, 4 miles from airport and downtown (about $15 taxi ride), walking distance to Historic Old Town, and conveniently located across from Old Town trolley and transit center.
- Our hotel offers guests a complementary continental breakfast, free wireless internet, heated outdoor pool, free parking, BBQ, DVD players in every room and free movies.
- Please call Front Desk for special rates on other room types, visit website for info on additional room types, www.oldtown-inn.com. Visit us on TripAdvisor.
Reservations: Mention AP by the Sea for special rates. PHONE: 800 643-3025 or contact via email at email@example.com.
Participant Rating: 3.7 Very highly rated
1955 San Diego Ave., S1: $165; S2, S3: $185/nt, free parking, FREE HOTEL SHUTTLE TO USD
- Located within 1 mile walking distance of Old Town, 37 restaurants and Old Town Trolley Tours.
- We are just 3 miles from downtown, Lindbergh Field Airport, San Diego Convention Center, PetCo Park, GasLamp Quarter, the World Famous San Diego Zoo, and Seaworld.
- Full service amenities including a free hot breakfast buffet with bacon, pancakes, eggs, cinnamon buns and much more.
- Free airport shuttle, free wireless and wired internet, 42¹¹ TV with Monitors, 24 hour deli, heated outdoor pool, fitness center, and business center.
Reservations: 619 543-1130, mention AP by the Sea,
Participant Rating: 3.2, EXCELLENT VALUE
- 3888 Greenwood Street, less than 1 mile from Old Town; S1: $169; S2: $179; S3: $165, King or 2 Queens. For AP guests we offer complimentary parking (normally $15/nt). We are only 3 miles from USD and a quick 10 minute car ride. Walkable to the Old Town Trolley Station and over 30 eateries.
- Mini-refrigerator, Microwave, Keurig coffeemaker, 47" flat screen TV, complimentary Wi-Fi
- Recently renovated, heated outdoor pool and Jacuzzi, outdoor fire pit, 24 hour fitness center, on-site laundry faciltities, and full service restaurant and bar
- We sell discounted Sea World tickets at the front desk and offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the park.
Reserve by phone: 800 368-7764; mention AP by the Sea Session 1, 2, or 3
DOWNTOWN/SAN DIEGO BAY/MISSION BAY HOTELS: (compare net rates)
Participant Rating: 3.5 Highly rated, Excellent Value
1710 West Mission Bay Drive, S1: $159; S2: $189; S3: $199; resort fee including parking: $17/nt.
- Two pools, 2 hot tubs, two restaurants, exercize facilty, massage services, computer in lobby, 48 hour cancellation
- Complimentary breakfast buffet
- On picturesque Mission Bay, this waterfront property is the closest hotel to Sea World and minutes from Belmont Park; free shuttle to Sea World; ten minutes from USD.
- Complimentary WiFi, TV, room safe, microwave, refrigerator, hairdryer, bathrobe, room service
- Great for family beach vacation: Explore Mission Bay by land or water with rentals from Adventure Watersports including bikes, kayaks, jet skis, paddleboards, and more
Reservations: Request the AP® by the Sea rate #1, #2, or #3 depending on which session you are attending at 800-445-3339 or 619-222-6440
Participant Rating: 3.5 Highly Rated
2137 Pacific Highway, less than 5 miles from USD; S1: $175; S2: $235; S3: $180; reduced rate parking $30/nt
- Little Italy's newest resident features art deco inspired design, modern decor, and deluxe amentities for a resort-like hotel experience.
- Located just two blocks from San Diego Bay and 1.5 miles from SD Int'l Airport. Near downtown and Gaslamp Quarter
- Complimentary high sp;eed Wi-Fi, 24/7 market, business center, fitness center, on-site restaurant, rooftop pool and hot tub
- In-room refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker; large flat screen HDTV; work desk with lamp and ergonomic chair, 100% non-smoking
Reserve by phone: 1 877 782-9444 mention rate code S1 "BT5", S2 "TS5", S3 "PB5"
HOTEL CIRCLE/MISSION VALLEY HOTELS: (compare net rates)
Participant rating: 3.5 Highly Rated
901 Camino Del Rio South, S1: $139/nt; S2: $209; S3: $169; $12nt parking (normally $16)
- Complimentary internet, flat screen TVs, pool, fitness center
- Located less than 5 miles from USD, only an 8 minute drive! Within minutes of the airport with close access to freeways 5, 8 163, 805, and 15
- Minutes from the best beaches, shopping, dining, and entertainment
Reserve by phone: 1 800 682-6099, mention Hilton Mission Valley and AP by the Sea,
Participant Rating: 3.2 Excellent Value
1433 Camino Del Rio South, only 3.4 miles from USD; S1, June 17-21: $149/nt; S2, July 8-12: $189/nt; S3, July 22-26:$169/nt including parking and wifi.
- After a busy day enjoy one of our 260 beautifully appointed guestrooms featuring the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and an oversized workspace.
- Additional amenities and services will make your stay as comfortable as possible, including high speed internet access, 42” flat screen televisions,
- Complimentary newspapers, in-room movies and the Corner Pantry.
Participant Rating: 3.5 Highly Rated
2151 Hotel Circle South, S1: $179; S2: $225; S3: $209, single tor double occupancy. Reduced rate parking: $10
- Great location – quick, easy freeway ride to USD (just 2 miles), and central to beaches and attractions
- Free hot and hearty breakfast daily with plenty of seating
- Families may bring or order food in the evening and use the large comfortable breakfast area for an easy and inexpensive dinner option
- Free internet throughout the hotel, access to Business Center so anyone can check email, surf the web, print documents
- Family restaurant nearby, steakhouse across the street, less than two miles to Old Town with over 200 shops and restaurants for an evening out
- Lobby market for snacks, beverages, frozen meal and treats for them to keep in their refrigerators
- All rooms will be in interior corridors of this 100% non-smoking hotel
- Outdoor heated pool, spa and firepit with comfy seating for relaxing at the end of the day
- From the moment you step inside your spacious guest room featuring a variety of modern amenities and contemporary style designed for comfort, relaxation and productivity, you'll feel at home and at ease. Check emails at the ergonomic desk or use the handy lap desk to catch up on your studies, watch over 100 HD channels (including premium movies) on the 40-inch HDTV, and you can count on a great night's sleep on our Clean and Fresh Hampton bed®. Pick up a light meal, beverage or snack at the Lobby Treat Shop, or stop by the Business Center to print boarding passes or take a dip in the heated pool and relax by the firepit at the end of the day. A great location, friendly staff with comfortable amenities and services make this the ideal choice for your San Diego visit!
Reserve by phone: 800 426-7866, mention AP by the Sea Block and Session #